Choosing to Be a Commerce Student
With science stream given so much importance by everyone, it is important to know that there are other streams available, which can build up a beautiful career. Commerce is one such stream which is opening up more and more avenues for the students of the new generation. There is no place/firm in this world which does not make use of the services of an accountant. As such, the demand for people to take care of one’s finances is high. A student who would like to become a accountant, can opt for the commerce stream. Class 11 and class 12 are the foundation courses which will help you shape your future in the stream of your choice.
There are many combinations available for a commerce student in the 11th and 12th. They are:
1. Accountancy, Business Studies, Economics, History
2. Accountancy, Business Studies, Economics, Mathematics
3. Accountancy, Business Studies, Economics, Statistics
4. Accountancy, Business Studies, Economics, Computer Science
The above given list is just indicative of the subjects offered by various pre-universities. You can have any combination of the above given subjects. As you can see, accountancy and business studies are mandatory subjects and will be available for any option you take.
Scope/ Career options:
After completing your 12th, comes the time when you have to choose the graduation which you will do. You can take up the following:
1. B.Com – Bachelor of Commerce (3yrs). This is the first option available for any student from the commerce stream. Being a commerce graduate qualifies one to be a part of the financial world, the place where a company’s finances are dealt,. This course imparts knowledge about the various accounting techniques followed, the fundamentals and concepts of business admin, finance, economics.
2. BBA/BBM – Bachelor of Business Administration/Management (3 yrs). This course is designed to help the students inculcate entrepreneurship skills, develop managerial skills and helps in nurturing the leadership qualities of a student.
After completing your graduation in commerce, you can go ahead with specializing in a particular area. The post graduate courses which one can take up are Masters in Business Administration(MBA), Cost Accountancy(ICWA), Chartered Accountancy(CA), Company Secretaryship(CS), which are professional courses. This will give you an option to establish yourself in the field of accountancy and finance. One can find that a commerce student can be absorbed by Financial institutions, Consultancy Firms, Tax practitioners, manufacturing firms, etc.